Saturday 25 February 2012

Red Velvet, if you please...

I've been wondering what all the fuss about Red Velvet cakes has been, and have tried a few different varieties, both from coffee shops and in recipes that I've tried myself. I have been underwhelmed on all occasions - they're just red cupcakes. 


My imagination was leading me towards a rich, moist cake, that was spicy and warm, with a unique texture. So, the time came to improvise... 


I used this recipe, but shook it up a bit - and I think I'm a lot closer to where my imagination was heading off.


Next time I make them, I'll take a pic... promise... 


1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
3 cups of flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of buttermilk
Red food coloring - I used about two teaspoons of the powdered one
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
1 block of dried dates
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/4 cup of boiling water


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
Chop up the dates finely, put them in a pot. Pour in the boiling water and one teaspoon of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). Cook this up until the dates soften - it should take about minutes. Cool the dates down - you can hurry this up by putting the pot in a cold bath in the sink 
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
Add the eggs, mixing them in well. 
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, remaining bicarb and salt. If you're using powdered food coloring, add about two teaspoons to this mix. 
In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, vinegar, and vanilla. If you're using liquid food coloring, add a lot. Like most of a bottle. 
Fold the mixtures into one another, mixing until the red comes completely through. If you want it more red, add more food coloring! ;-) 
Spoon into cupcake papers and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. This recipe made about 36, and they freeze really well. 


I iced them with cream cheese frosting - this is the recipe from the original one: 
1/2 cup of butter
1 tub of cream cheese
3 cups of icing sugar 
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence


Mix together well - add icing sugar if this mix is too runny. Pipe over the cupcakes and decorate. 



2 comments:

Tam said...

You see, I too expected something more from red velvet cake. Something more than coloured sponge cake.I shall attempt your recipe.

Kerry said...

Let me know how it goes!