Saturday 25 February 2012

Homemade Chai ice cream

One of my favorite things in the history of ever is chai tea, and one of my favorite kitchen appliances at the moment is my Krups Ice Cream Maker, which my mom bought me for Christmas. So... it made sense to put the two together when I had some friends over for dinner a week or two back. Here's the recipe - sorry, I haven't taken any photos... 


500ml cream
250ml milk
1 can condensed milk
3 egg yolks
4 star anise
some cinnamon bark
4 cloves
6 cardamom pods, crushed
One teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup sugar


Put all the spices in a pot along with the milk and cream. Bring to just below below boiling point, and let the dairy mixture infuse the flavors of the spices. In the meantime, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Slowly add one cup of the milk mixture to the eggs, then add the egg and milk mixture back to the milk mixture - doing it this way to avoid the eggs scrambling. 
Cook for a while longer, until the mixture starts to thicken a bit. 
Take off the heat, and strain to get the lumpy bits out of the mixture. 
Add the condensed milk, and mix well. 
Chill overnight, and churn in your ice cream maker. 
Serve with crushed Nuttikrust biscuits. Just because they're awesome. 


PS I love Yuppiechef, so much, which is why I've linked there for you to see the ice cream machine. But you can buy it MUCH cheaper retail... 

2 comments:

Tam said...

Tried home made chilli ice cream once. Was awesome! (if you want chillis, our trees have produced an overwhelming crop)

Kerry said...

oooh...
Another cool one is the ice cream at Cranx, that has chill, ginger and coriander in it. Strange, but true... and utterly, completely, delicious!