Thursday 23 February 2012

I am (going to be) a Yoga Warrior



A few years ago I took a fancy to the notion of yoga, and went to some classes at the most exquisite studio in Atholl. I loved every minute of it, but kept on getting lost as the teacher moved through the poses, as everyone else was clearly very experienced, and I was novice. So I stopped going, because I felt a bit intimidated, and, I think, because there were Distractions...
Then Life happened – and 10 years later I find myself in a working environment where we are challenged to set goals for ourselves. I’ve been horribly unfit and revoltingly flabby for quite a while, and I also realised that I need some Me Time.

In early January, I asked my best friend Google for some help, and it yielded a link to Yoga Warrior, a studio in Rosebank, Johannesburg. What was most appealing was the 5 week beginner course the site advertised (see reference to beginner above), starting the next week, and I grabbed the last spot.

The beginners’ teacher, Kanina, is possibly the most gentle and graceful person I have ever met, and she guided us gently through each week’s lessons, encouraging us to stretch ourselves (pun intended) further and further every week.
The course was also conveniently timed in the late evening, so that I could still have supper with my boys (big and small), and spend some time with them before heading out. On its completion, Clara, the studio’s owner, responded to requests for a similarly-timed ongoing beginner’s class, so now, Wednesday nights at 19h30, you’ll find me stretching myself (again, pun intended) at Yoga Warrior.

Classes are in a studio with a wooden floor, and although it’s not a bikram studio, it’s pleasantly warm, which helps in moving through the poses. I tried a yoga class at the Old Ed’s Virgin Active, and I really struggled in the cool breezy room – having a warm environment really helps. That, and having a teacher who takes the time to make sure you’re doing things properly.
The lessons are also reasonably priced, but the best idea is to buy packages of lessons, depending on the time you can commit, and how much you can afford. Obviously, the more classes you buy at a time, the cheaper it gets, but I think that around R70 per 60 minute class is more than reasonable.
I’ve been amazed at what this nearly 40 year old body can do. I have loved learning the Sanskrit words for the poses – they’re so blunt but so poetic too. I’m loving the challenge of trying something different, every week. I’ve identified (again) that the weakest part of my body is my core, so I’m going to have to invest in some extra gym time to fix that, if only so that I can do chaturanga  (don’t you love the name!), and a few of the other really challenging poses.

For the first time in years and years, I don’t have back problems – I can actually get up from a chair without thinking carefully about how I should adjust myself as I rise. And then there’s the absolute spiritual peace and calm that comes with the end of every lesson.
This time round, my practice of yoga is not going to suffer from any Distractions... and if you’re looking to try something different, or to do a low-impact exercise, this is really something you should try too.

FYI - although this sounds a lot like I've been paid to rave about Yoga Warrior - I haven't been. I pay for my lessons like everyone else... I just think that they're fantastic!

2 comments:

Tam said...

So will you be joining me in a month of daily sun salutations challenge?

Kerry said...

I will be... when I'm a bit more familiar with the routines... give me a month or two?