Monday 17 September 2012

A food experiment - savoury flapjacks

So, last week I found out my body has a bit of an aversion to gluten. I'm not missing bread at all, I must be honest, although I have only cut out gluten products since last Wednesday. Not sure how strong my will power is going to be next time I walk past a croissant or a fine piece of confectionery, but let's leave it at "going well" for now. 

Saturday night saw me feeling experimental in the context of all this - so the recipe below is what emerged. I'm no nutritionist, but I reckon it would tick the boxes of: vegetarian, gluten-free, high-protein, and most importantly, easy. 

I served them as savoury flapjacks, topped with onion marmalade, tomato sauce or mayonnaise (depending on age and preference), but the dearly beloved (who had chilli with his) pointed out that they'd be a great bread-free alternative to topping and tailing a burger. Or as being a base for an open sarmie. Up to you really... 

So ...here you go: 

Savoury flapjacks
2 cans of beans, drained (I used one each of red kidney beans and cannelini beans)
1 onion
A handful of coriander
1 egg
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 cup pea flour (I think chick pea flour would work well too)
Seasoning

A food processor
Butter to grease the pan
A non-stick frying pan with a lid


Peel the onion, and whizz it in the food processor till finely chopped. 
Add the other ingredients, and let the food processor whizz away until everything looks smoothly blended.
Heat up the pan and grease it with the butter. 
Ladle spoonsful of the batter - any size you want, according to what you're going to use the flapjacks for afterwards. 
Cover with a lid (the contained heat helps them cook more evenly). 
Flip when browned on one side, to brown on the other - and then serve. 

Regretfully, I don't have any pics. They didn't last long enough to photograph - even my boys polished them off! 

1 comment:

Tam said...

They sound yum! I will definitely experiment with your experiment!