Monday 2 April 2012

Old friends, ftw

I've just returned from a week in the UK - an opportunity to reunite with two of my favourite university friends, cannily crafted around a wedding in a castle in Scotland. Awesome, yes?

It's difficult to put a finger on what the best part was - but it all started with picking up exactly where we had left off even though there's been so much time and space since we last saw one another. The last time we were together was 14 years ago, although I saw Euan (now from Edmonton in Canada) seven years ago, and Tom (now resident in Henley-on-Thames) two years ago, when I was best person at his wedding.



A road trip up the length of Britain, coloured with at least 20 million blooming daffodils (no exaggeration at all there), lots of gin-and-tonics in beautiful spots, fine food, flavours of ancient history, and probably the warmest March week in recorded weather history all combined to make an unforgettable week.

It was a great trip - and I am so grateful for the friendship of these two special men - and that we've kept it going through the years.

It was bittersweet remembering the other people who were part of our circle way back when - one is deceased, others have scattered to the four winds. But it was really lovely catching up.

And really really great to be home too. I missed Brett, so much - and have to just point out the awesomeness of my husband who was completely ok with me roadtripping with two married men. I missed my boys - who I swear grew up in the week I was away.

The things I didn't miss? That's a whole other blog post. For another day.

1 comment:

Tam said...

Must have been lovely to see spring starting out there. It's what I miss - Spring in the UK is so much more dramatic and meaningful there...