Monday 19 February 2007

We've become statistics...

Last week Wednesday burglars broke into our home and helped themselves to pretty much all of our technology, some of my jewellery, a safe with a gun, passports, ID books and cash in it, my husband's leather trench coat, some of his fragrances, and, bizarrely, all of his underwear. No-one was here. All in all about R75K worth of goods, which they took away in my father-in-law's car that was parked at our house for the day. The dogs don't seem to have been a deterrent - thank goodness they weren't harmed. We're insured, and have embarked on negotiations with the insurance company, but my father-in-law wasn't.

Freaked out on a few levels - I worked at home until 12h30 that day, which I very seldom do. It was a Wednesday, the only day that our domestic worker isn't here. They knew exactly where to find my camera, in a spot all by itself in a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. And they knew where to go to find the safe.

All things point towards the domestic worker being involved, in that only technology was stolen, and they seemed to know where to find specific things. The other rooms in the house weren't disturbed. They didn't take food, they only helped themselves to a bottle of Veuve Clicquot. Expensive tastes, this lot.

My gut is to fire her, she's screwed up enough on other things. But I don't know for sure - it's just a suspicion, and I would hate an innocent person (who has two small chilren to take care of) to be rendered unemployed on a suspicion.

So Thursday was about buying chains and padlocks for the dining room (which is where they got in) and investigating biggerbetterfastermore security for the rest of the house.

I hate this. I hate that we have to consider barricading ourselves inside our house. I hate that while the police were very efficient, they're unlikely to ever catch these guys. I hate that I'm scared to arrive home by myself now, particularly as the gate is manual, because the burglars broke it to get onto the property.

This isn't about hating South Africa - so many victims of crime descend into that. This is about being angry at having my home violated, my space compromised, and being scared to be in my own home by myself. I just hope now that they've got all of our stuff that they stay away. My thoughts are to not replace everything if insurance pays out - we had too much stuff anyway.

SO ANGRY. But ja, shit happens, you just deal with it and move on - no point in dwelling on the bad stuff. Just so grateful that neither we nor the dogs were hurt.

3 comments:

Tamarai said...

That's horrible!!! It does, however, sound like an inside job, I hate to say.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Wenchy said...

Yip... been there. Gotta love the underwear being stolen???

18 months ago our house was broken into twice in six week while we were sleeping... I still am petrified to be alone at home, I still check all the doors double and the windows...

I hope one day that kak feelings goes where every morning I feel relieved to have made it thru the night.