Wednesday 6 August 2014

Riding my bike for kids with cancer


If I’ve been a little haggard (!) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, it’s because I’m up at 4h45 on those mornings to go to spinning classes, as part of my preparations to ride the 106km Amashova Classsic on 12 October, and the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge on 16 November. This is in addition to weekend rides that also involve being up long before sunrise, and long before the temperate goes over 5 degrees!

Apart from this craziness being part of a goal I set for myself for this year, I’m riding these two events for the CHOC Cows, which will, if I raise more than R7000, see me riding the races in cow-print cycling kit.

Originally a group of eight cyclists who rode the 94.7 in cow suits, the group is now more than 300 in size, and has raised more than R18 million to support CHOC, which plays a key role in providing care for children diagnosed with Cancer across South Africa. It is a country wide organization that provides the highest level of care required to treat childhood cancer in keeping with the latest developments worldwide. The funds raised by CHOC are provided directly to support the children diagnosed with cancer as well as their families. Furthermore, the Paediatric Oncology Units in major hospitals are supported by funds raised by CHOC to enable the Doctors and Nurses to provide quality treatment to children diagnosed with cancer.

Here’s the hat-in-hand part: If you would  like to pledge funds to support me in this fundraising effort, please would you go here: http://www.givengain.com/activist/119718/projects/8300/  The money goes straight from you to The Cows.

Then – if you are a person who manages a relationship with a corporate (or you ARE a corporate!), and think that they might interested in supporting me/The Cows/CHOC, please let me know who to contact? If they’re really gung-ho on sponsoring things, they could sponsor a branded ice-cream bicycle for the 94.7 for R30 000…

CHOC will provide any necessary Section 18A tax certifications through its PBO registration, as required. Formal proposal letters from the organisations are easily obtained.

No obligation, at all, in any way, on either count. But, if you don’t ask…

No comments: