Thursday 12 September 2013

House rules

You've seen the House Rules around, I'm sure. There are lots of fairly similar variations, and I confess to having lusted after my own copy for a while. I even have the perfect wall for it in my kitchen, but in my natural aversion to actually spending money on anything that isn't food, or a household essential, I've never gotten around to buying one. 

And I'm glad I haven't, because I think it's worth having your own house rules. Now just to find somewhere to make these for me... although that part shouldn't be difficult... it's the part about actually spending money that should be the hard part. 

Anyway, I reckon that our house rules would be: 

No whining (this is a universal rule)
No tale telling. 
Love your brother with all your heart. He's the only one you've got. 
Mom is always right, even when she's wrong. 
You don't have to win at sport. But you do have to play fair, and play hard. 
Books are truly magical. Read as many of them as you possibly can. 
We're allowed to disagree with one another, but nastiness is banned.
Always tell the truth. 
Don't tease the dogs. 
The light of the sun is so much warmer than the light of the TV. 
Follow your dreams. 
Care about your family, and stand up for us all, no matter what. 
Be kind, be courteous, be generous. 
Believe that you are the most powerful being in your world. 

What would your house rules be? 



2 comments:

Jon said...

"Have respect."

Tam said...

Respect above all

Our cats and dogs are our children, they are the only children we are going to have. Treat them with dignity and compassion.

Communicate openly

Be honest, even about the difficult stuff

No matter how hard it gets - we're in this together, no matter what

Love and compassion feeds us

It's okay to mess up, just fess up.