Monday 19 July 2010

Why?

Today was a day when my already tenuous link to faith in a God was pretty much broken.

My sons' friends, aged 2 and 4, and their mother, died when their house burned down last night. Their father and husband survived - he has lost his wife, his children and his home. My children spent the afternoon at their home on Friday last week. I sat and drank tea with Monica while our children played and built jigsaw puzzles. Now, they are gone having died a terrible death, their house is a burnt out shell, and a good, kind, loving, young man has lost his world.

What possible higher purpose explanation could there be for this? How could there be any need for this man to learn any lessons that are THIS hard to start with? Why does my son have to lose his innocence about life and death at such a young age? Why do we all have to deal with images of how these three precious people died - in print and in our minds' eyes?

What possible higher purpose could there be out of this?

3 comments:

Jenty said...

It's just so unfair ((HUGS))
Been thinking of you and your kids a lot today... I'm not sure how I would tell my boys

MeeA said...

this makes my heart ache even though I never knew these people. I cannot imagine how one would survive such a loss. I'm so sorry, Kerry. There really are no words.

Bongi said...

there is no higher purpose to this or some twisted lesson this man must learn. it just happened and that's life and death. horrific, yes. for a greater good, hogwash.